Carbon footprint of Algorand

@Maugli,

As I’m sure you already aware, the Algorand network consumes far less energy ( by many order of magnitudes ) compared to Bitcoin ( or Ethereum ). I wish I had the exact numbers, but I do not.

In fact, it would be really hard to get exact numbers :

• Many of the nodes aren’t managed / owned by Algorand Inc and/or the Algorand Foundation.
    ( for example, I have no idea what your machine specification are )
  • The is a huge difference in the power consumption of a gaming PC ( ~ 400W ) vs. a raspberry PI ( 3W ).
  • Some of the machines used as relays might be hosted by aws/azure/gcp. For these, you’re getting a “portion of the machine”. I don’t know how to gauge the Wattage on these.
  • For development purposes, we continuously deploying dummy test networks. These networks are ephemeral, but could consume lots of power while running. I don’t have any metrics for these.
  • Last, many of the machines that we use are far over spec’ed ( just to ensure we have that capacity if we end up needing it ). That’s a wasted energy that we knowingly willing to spend as long as we’re making changes to the product.

Having said all the above, I will try to look if we have any concrete numbers that can be used here. For simplicity, I would rather using the current network metrics, as it’s factual. ( i.e. and for the same reason, I’d like to avoid discussing about Eth2 - it’s only speculations for now )

You can start looking here https://metrics.algorand.org for some metrics. On thing you might to grab from there is the peak TPS, which currently is 1,161. That would dynamically change as the network throughput increases.