Confidential transactions in Algorand?

Hi
I’m new to Algorand and I have a question for the community. Does this technology support any kind of confidentiality? Like confidential transactions, data encryption, etc. I cannot find any mention of that in the documentation… I actually came to it because of Silvio Micali, but can’t find any zero knowledge proof technical evidence either… Is there any plan in adding data/transaction confidentiality support through ZKP techniques in Algorand ?
Thank you for your kind answers
Victor

2 Likes

What form of confidentiality do you propose? As I see it, anything you put to blockchain is there forever so the best practice is not to put there any sensitive data. The only option is to put the hash of some data you want to the transaction note that can take quite a lot of data…

If you want to risk leaking of your private keys to public you can encrypt the data and put it to blockchain encrypted, but be aware that this will become forever public when the private keys are leaked. I doubt that anybody in algorand would want to decide on which encryption method is safe because they may get broken in time, so I assume it will never be in basic protocol.

This is the blockchain thing it is not algorand issue… Do you know any blockchain you are ok with with the confidentiality of the data?

Concept is quite simple Shielded transactions vs standard transactions if in the protocol then wallet creators decide how they implement it in there apps.

Look at ZEC - Z-Cash this is quite sensible if i want to buy of a stranger using my bank account can they now have the ability to go through my bank transactions and check my balance , its actually really dumb we would expect any normal person to want that . ZEC is available in every exchange i am with in-fact so is Monero and that is ALWAYS and ONLY shielded no option

There may even be an advantage we can get out of this for example, a shielded transaction will cost $1 which could even be burned so only people who spending amounts worth shielding would pay the fee … there are many ways you can take advantage of this.