Feedback requested on proposed Q3 2022 Governance Measures

Thanks @omniwarp. In fact, I do not like vetoes too much, including having too many Yes or No votes, that look like vetoes. But I think the spirit of your contribution is great. The community, by it’s sheer size, activity, and decentralized knowledge of the whole market and ecosystem, can give an enormous contribution to proposals, and this is why having xGovs is so important. We need to move from foundation proposing and community assessing, towards being much more the other way around. This is the right evolution of decentralized governance.

3 Likes

I’m voting no on both of these measures mainly because I want to retain the reward pool for more frequent participation in more significant governance of ecosystem direction.

I agree with the general feeling we could do more with our governance rewards, I just do not want to pigeon-hole us into a commitment to DeFi we make now if we come up with more valuable uses of the gov rewards later (which I hope we propose and develop).

After reading the majority of the comments, at first I wanted to vote yes on both; right now, blockchain technologies seem to be bolstered by their crypto element, and so the fastest way to grow Algorand seemed to be by attracting users from other chains, who primarily (?) are using the chains for finance transaction, therefore further incentivizing DeFi. However, I do not think the 7m is a significant enough incentive, more than those inherent to DeFi, to merit such a loss of rewards to Governance.

I want more frequent voting on more real-world applications of the chain. I would like governors to have the opportunities to decide what projects Algorand partners with, what projects it spotlights, and what technologies it invests in building (I do not know all of the possible uses of the blockchain or Algorand resources, so my vision here may be limited). At the end of the day, I would rather more organic, horizontal growth, not just in finance applications, for the Algorand ecosystem, rather than rapid growth and a spike of the ALGO value, but a more narrow ecosystem focus in finance. That said, one of the main reasons I came to Algorand was the democratization of access to resources promised in DeFi, so I do not want to disincentivize this or LP providers.

1 Like

Adding to this, the ecosystem is already incentivized through liquid staking and Aeneas/protocol rewards. I’m not sure that taking another 7M Algo to be split thinly among many people who are already double dipping will move the needle. It will likely result in inorganic, temporary mercenaries who dry up the extra Algo before it yields any real benefits.

There are many sensible reasons that one can point to which could explain why the ecosystem hasn’t grown as much as we would’ve hoped for. Personally, one that I think is extremely difficult to overcome is that Algorand came late to the DeFi party. Now, there’s nothing uniquely compelling enough in Algorand’s ecosystem (yet) to make users that are settled elsewhere want to go through the hassle of buying a new coin, downloading a new wallet, and familiarizing themselves with a new ecosystem.

The defi is what gets them here. The transaction speed, finality, and low cost is what keeps them. It worked for me. A temporary increase doesn’t seem like a huge deal to those of us already using Algorand, but it might be enough to FOMO a few fence-sitters. If it does, they will probably become part of the community. Ultimately, unless such proposals are renewed/expanded upon/altered, you’re right, it won’t amount to much, but it’s something.

1 Like

@Adri has posted our proposed new measures here (Feedback request on proposed Q4 2022 governance measures).

They are in line with everything we discussed here and they are continuing the path we took with the last votes, but we always want a healthy debate, so please have a look!

Доброго времени суток! Подскажите пожалуйста, кто мне сможет помочь разобраться со стейкингом AlgoDAO, отправил в стейкинг 1001 монету, однако они нигде не отображаются, ни на платформе, ни в кошельке. Заранее благодарен за помощь.