Can I create a transaction or sign an asset to record an event (e.g. send/receive address is the same)?

I would like to have feedback about feasibility of a use case for which we like to use Algorand.

We have a supply-chain use case, where over time metadata should be tagged to a token. One would think to use a NFT type, however, we also discussed the possibility to use a FT of a type, e.g. ‘sugar’, then use a token’s transaction history as ‘metadata’.

Thank you,

Carst

Yes, you may send any ASA to the (same) sending account, which allows you to tag arbitrary data in the Note field. Using goal:

$ goal asset send --assetid $ASSET_ID --from $ADDR --to $ADDR --amount $AMT --note $STR_NOTE

You may choose to issue a NFT for your product’s serial number, shipment identifier, or similar and use the MetaDataHash and/or URL immutable asset parameters.

Thank you Ryan. As a follow-up, i can add a note to a transaction, but what methods are to my disposal to track a specific ASA? As to list all accounts/notes that have been added over the ‘lifecycle’ of a specific token? Or is this not possible with a fungible asset?

A NFT would require Opt-in for each received token am i correct? this would not be very suitable for our use-case.

The Indexer provides many ways to query the blockchain, including all transactions (and hence notes) of the assets and all accounts: Algorand Developer Docs

Yes, currently an NFT as any ASA requires opt-in for each received token.