Wallet source code / Translation

Any progress in making it open source? It would be greatly appreciated by the community because it may show how to do the transactions, asa opt in, qr codes, security and many more things…

1 Like

I am very happy to see the algorand wallet go open source. I am sure it will benefit the community and whole project a lot.

I have created translation to Slovak language. I have put it as git issue so that you can track it up Slovak translation · Issue #2 · algorand/algorand-wallet · GitHub

Hi, @ian, I have added Hungarian translation. Please add it to the wallet source code.

In the meantime, it would be beneficial to give a detailed description about
“How to translate the wallet source code”

hi, @ian ! How are you?

As I see, you committed Android 4.9.2 an hour ago. Alas, not much changes, and you didn’t succeed to add the Slovak and Hungarian language files yet.

Of course, 10 days are probably not enough to add 2 files…

Hi Maugli,

For the translation PRs, we first need to define a process for community submitted language additions. There are process, UI, and security concerns we need to address before doing so. Thanks for being so patient.

Ian

Quite interesting points. I have never thought that xml text have security implications.
On UI concern you are also right, the text length can make the screens quite different.
What do you mean by “process concern”?

P.S. I wish that Algorand would be so popular that tens of thousands of Hungarians would use it. Alas, we are VERY far from it yet… So you have ample time…

UI concern example: RTL languages, string overflows, new characters, etc.
Security concern example: Malicious community member changes wording to purposefully deceive a user. We need to properly be able to vet those proposals.
Process: We need to make sure these fit into the tooling we use for other languages as well as our deployment pipeline.

While it may seem as simple as changing a file (as you suggested), I assure you there are other implications. We’re just trying to make sure that we remain a usable, trusted, and secure application.

One more topic that probably falls into the “process” category -
future changes to the wallet would also require updates to the translated text.

I know that for you it would be intuitive to provide these… but I believe that @Ian is trying to find a solution that he would be able to scale up.

1 Like

Any progress yet? How can íI help you?

Dear @scholtz ,

Algorand Wallet v4.10.0 has been published. Some new strings were included in the res\strings.xml file. Please translate the strings in the attached file between lines 544…611 and send the file back to me.

Sent you a mail to ludovit@scholtz.sk
No answer, It itstill a functional address? It not, please send me your accessability, please
Yours,
Maugli

The translation must be ongoing process… if they are not able to commit the phrases i have done for them in several months, why should i bother to update the translation?

That’s why you should add the new phrases… and to remain up to date.
Maybe a rich Slovak billionare would like to use a localized wallet… in the future… in 2030…

Anyway, I can understand your frustration. Never mind the negative attitude, go on!

Another thing: it is very instructive to see the changes from version to version. Now, for example, they started to use BigInteger in the wallet code.