Help recover wallet

Hi, I’m a newbie non tech person so please don’t bombard me with too much code talk :wink:

I had an Android wallet on my phone which I used to join the staking rewards programme, I bought a new phone. My 25 word phrase is saved securely and when I try to use it on my new phone to recover my account / wallet I get a balance of zero. I fear loosing my Algos. I wonder if I’m doing something wrong.

I open the App, add account name then paste in my 25 word phrase, check the phrase is correct then create the account. No Algos, balance zero.

Can anyone guide me or tell me what I’m doing wrong.
Jonny

1 Like

You can try using wallet.myalgo.com with the same passphrase. Check if the public key is the same you had in the previous wallet. Also, check on algoexplorer.io your balance to verify everything is fine.

1 Like

https://algoexplorer.io

May input the wallet address , then check the balance and transactions.

This is Ian from Algorand here. Sorry you’re having trouble with your Algorand Wallet! Can you please email your public key (not your passphrase) to wallet-feedback@algorand.com? We’ll take a look from our side and we can try to figure out what’s going on.

Thanks for your patience.
Ian

1 Like

Thank you for replies, I’ve been working. I have set aside some time tonight to look at this. I’ll feedback how I get on.

First thing is I have not been great at keeping back up info, the only thing I have stored is my passphrase. I need to get on to Binance to find my wallet address and I have had to get a new phone and lost my Google Authenticator along the way. Recovering my data will take a while. I will keep chipping away at it. There are not many Algos, less than $100 worth so if I loose my wallet it’s not the end of the world.

Hi, Thanks for this tip. I’ve tried it and found my wallet there, this is great because I am able to see my wallet and am no longer worried about all being lost. Now all I need to do is work out how to get my Android Wallet up and running again. Great to have the reassurance my Algos are not lost. Thanks.

This is a bit embarrassing but I thought I’d share the truth. I had saved two different 25 word passphrases and was using the wrong one… :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Kindly check the https://wallet.myalgo.com. I was trying to access my wallet but I am getting the message “Incorrect Password.” I have written down my password on a piece of paper and typed the characters as written but to no avail. I tried to create a new wallet but the screen showing up is the same screen when “access” at the upper right hand was clicked. The new wallet screen should be different from the access screen. I was glad I was able to find pipaman thread. I used https://algoexplorer.io and knew my algo are still in my wallet. Thanks for the assistance.

Hi Panagan,

My Algo home page automatically detects if you already have created an account and will redirect you to /access even if you try clicking the New Wallet button.

What did you write down in a piece of paper? Your My Algo login password or your wallet’s 25 word mnemonic phrase?

If you forgot your password, but have backed up all your wallets’ mnemonic phrases correctly (25 words in the correct order), you can click on Reset button located at the right side of the password input in the login page. Only do this if you are 100% sure that you have correctly backed up your 25 word mnemonic phrase, including the order of your words. Once you Reset your My Algo account everything will be deleted and you will need to start from scratch.

For more information on mnemonic phrases and tips on how to handle them please visit: Algorand Wallet

Thanks for responding Michel.

I wrote down my password and the mnemonic phrase. That was why, I knew my password worked as I used it when I accessed the wallet several times to access the wallet previously. But won’t it be logical despite the system detecting an already created wallet that there should at least be an appropriate message and not the “incorrect password” message? It’s okay for me to start from scratch using your suggestion. But if you have a way to modify the logical flow of the wallet system application to become more user friendly. That would be great.

I tried to access the wallet using my password but I got the “incorrect password” message. I tried creating a new wallet, the screen for accessing the wallet showed. Why does the “ACCESS” and “NEW WALLET” have the same screen layout? Are you sensing a logical error somewhere? It didn’t look like that when I created my new wallet. The screen layout was the same when I accessed my wallet using my password previously, except that today the system won’t allow me. Instead, the system gave me the “incorrect password” message. I mean, your system is good but it won’t hurt if your programmer can do some modification for user friendliness and professionalism of the system. If correction will not be made, there will be more users who be contacting your team… I am just a newbie in the crypto world. Pardon me if I talk nonsense.

Thanks again.

Yes, we have taken this feedback before and for our upcoming release we will be fixing this ambiguity in the user experience.

Thanks for your prompt response.

This is what happened to me. My account did not restore my wallet when I upgraded my iPhone. Password correct, no wallet. When I imported with my passcode, no balance.

Do you have the address?
Can you check the balance on algoexplorer.io (typing your wallet address in the search field)?

Hello,

Good day. Please my phone crashed and all my data was lost. I didnt back up my 25 word mnemonic phrase to my drive and hence cant acccess my alogrand wallet anymore.

Please is there a way you can assist to help recover this account?

Thank You

if your display is broken, you can buy new display and replace it… if the secret was saved only on your phone and you are sure your storage is damaged, there is no way to recover your wallet…
however I believe that your storage was not destroyed, and you just broke the display, so take the phone to the closest computer repair shop and tell them that you have important data on the device to get the display replaced without damaging the data stored there…
next time make sure to backup the 25 mnemonic…

2 Likes

If you have your 25 words and you used the official Algorand Wallet, just re-install the Algorand Wallet on your new phone and recover your wallet by providing the 25 words.

See https://algorandwallet.com/support/getting-started/recover-an-algorand-account

Public keys or addresses are what other people use to send you Algos or other assets.
The 25 words define an address. When recovering your account via the process above you will also recover your address. Example of address:

3DKE5V5GB2TY4RCQDNNP43KXMLLCDSKZ6PASPJT244YEITMNCEW7LB23GA

See https://algorandwallet.com/support/getting-started/creating-a-new-account for details

1 Like

You can use also other wallets to import the mnemonic phrase… see ADirectory

The correct terminology for is to use the word account for what mnemonic generates for you… You can import account into the wallet. You can have multiple accounts in the wallets. In some applications you can even have multiple wallets.

Usually just go to New account > Import account from mnemonic phrase

The mnemonic phrase is combination of private and public key. Address is identifier of the account (where you send the resources from/to) , and the address is the string representation of the public key.

1 Like