How to use Goal

Before now, I’m quite conversant with using Algorand Python SDK but with limited functionalities. How do I install goal? Does it come with the algosdk?

@ddev from reading your other posts, I’m confident you already have the Algorand “node” algod running locally. Therefore, you should find the other CLI Tools (goal, algokey and algod) in the same installation directory (default: ~/go/bin). If you have that in your $PATH just type goal -h to get started.

A detailed tutorial to Access BetaNet Network using your own node and goal is here for others looking for a more complete answer.

No I don’t. I only have been using an end-point. Was setting up a sandbox when I lost my pc and one I use now is a friend’s and can’t install node on it. But this will be useful for me when I’m ready to reinstall.

@ddev
As @ryanRfox suggested, goal comes with a node installation.
You can use a sandbox and try to use goal there.

2 Likes

@tsachi I have algod running in a docker sandbox using Windows 10, I also downloaded the SDK using npm. I want to play around with goal, but cannot find where the binary is located on my system. I thought it would have come with the SDK, but I could not find it in my node_modules directory. Not sure where to go from here other than setting up a full node, but I prefer not to do that just yet. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

I think that you’ll need to sandbox enter and then you’ll be able to use goal from within the sandbox.

2 Likes

goal is not part of the SDK. It is part of the Algorand software.
On Windows, you have two options:

1. Use Sanbox and run the commands inside the sandbox (solution mentioned by @tsachi above). To communicate between the sandbox and Windows 10, see Is possible to compile a smart contract (teal program) using docker sandbox? Or i need to run a node?
  2. Install the Algorand software in Windows Subsystem (WSL) for Linux - Ubuntu 20.04. Follow https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10 to install Ubuntu 20.04 and WSL. Then you can install the Algorand software following the instructions for any Debian/Ubuntu machine: https://developer.algorand.org/docs/run-a-node/setup/install/#installing-with-debian
3 Likes

Note that you can now directly compile Algorand on Windows.

Thank you for the information