I was tricked into a fake Algorand site and I was scammed

I am a Korean.

I was watching Algo Land on YouTube because of the Amazon rumor.

It’s called algorandlive.

420,000 subscribers and 5,000 simultaneous viewers.

Silvio Micali’s speech was broadcast live.

https://fundalgo.org/ was promoting fake sites disguised as official sites.

The fake site’s counselor deceived him to transfer 18,400 Algorand.

I’m a fool inside, but how is there no solution?

It’s too hard and complicated. I ask for your advice.

Hi Yujun,

Thank you for reaching out to let us know about this fraudulent website. We have reported this internally and steps are being taken to have the website removed.

We do not engage in such giveaways or airdrops. We will continue to share such notifications to warn the community. Please only ever follow the official Algorand Foundation or Algorand websites and social channels for official updates.

Regards,
Ronan
Algorand Foundation

TXID :XSCGR4TFHY3T6KQS7DKHH7BZ2K3WNYA5ONDAOKPW3YY2UEPSOJUQ

I want to get back the my 18400 algorand I sent after being swindled. If that’s not the case, I’d like to sue a fraudster. Please help us punish criminals. Please teach me the way. The South Korean police station has requested an investigation.

Hi Yujun,

You can use the block explorer AlgoExplorer (https://algoexplorer.io/) to relay the transaction details as necessary.

As we are are a public, decentralized blockchain there is nothing we can do to recoup your funds.

We will continue to warn our community about fraudulent websites and scams. Please only follow our official channels as we do not engage in send to receive giveaways or airdrops.

Regards,
Ronan
Algorand Foundation

should the Algorand Marketing Team not be on top of securing domains, usage of Silvio’s images etc. to protect potential supports? there are daily YouTube channels using Silvio’s figure head which is damaging to the image of Algorand.

2 Likes

I’m really sorry to hear about this, but as has already been mentioned by @breeron, Algorand (and pretty much most crypto currencies) is decentralized. This means that there is no “central one body” that can undo sometime.

Going forward I’d HIGHLY recommend some of the following when sending funds

1. Always check the source you’re sending to. If you don’t know the person that well I’d recommend you e-mail them (to verify their domain) and have a call too if possible
  2. Never ever send a single large figure. Rather send a small amount first to ensure you have the correct address.
  3. If something sounds too good to be true, it almost always is. Stick to verified announcements (ie: ignore ALL Youtube or other streaming services) only.

Decentralisation is indeed fantastic to ensure no one party has absolute control of everyone’s money (unlike central banks do), but the downside is that there is no “undo” when issues like this arise.

We have reported this internally and steps are being taken to have the website removed. I dont think so. I was scammed on Friday lost 3000 algos the website is called algorand-airdrop.com
Who can I contact they can help to get my funds back.