Relay node rewards

How may I get more details of relay node rewards, except following which is very vague?

Relay Node Participation

The Algorand Foundation has given early supporters around the world who have agreed to run relay nodes the opportunity to earn Algos in exchange. Relay node runners earn tokens according to vesting schedules that range from 2 to 5 years. Any unvested amount will not participate in the consensus protocol.

Apparently, nobody seems to care to answer this question or perhaps, there’s no answer for now.

Take a look at the bottom of the FAQ, it covers Running your own Relay:

Can I earn tokens for running a relay node?

• Not at this time, but there will be opportunities to earn tokens for relay node running in the future. While anyone can run a relay node, the Algorand Foundation has given early supporters around the world who agreed to run relay nodes at network launch the opportunity to earn Algos in exchange. This early support program is closed, but there will be more opportunities in the future.

So relay nodes program is permissionless , a joke only ?

Hey Mike,

Running nodes (relay and participation) is 100% permissionless. Earning tokens for running a relay node was a program that the Algorand Foundation put together for bootstrapping the network prior to and at launch, as the FAQ from the foundation linked above references. That specific program is now closed as the network has launched.

I would anticipate additional programs opening up in the future, along with a general rewards program being implemented that is alluded to on the foundation’s token dynamics page: “In the future we will introduce additional incentive mechanisms to ensure long term infrastructure support and health. The Algorand Foundation is committed to only introducing mechanisms that are permissionless and allow any interested party to join the network.”

1 Like

Can you share how many relay nodes earning tokens are there right now?

According to this https://algoexplorer.io/ 38 million algos have been rewarded to the node runners for the past 8 days. It means around 140 million algos will be given out every month.

Relay node Incentives: Each day tokens are earned by relay node runners, The Algorand Foundation has clearly outlined and explained these here. Approximately 2 billion of these incentive tokens will enter circulation daily over a two year period. The same number of tokens enters circulation every day.

So 2 billion over 2 years for node runners + 3 billion sold on auctions over 5 years. It makes it 1.6b new algos per year and 4,383,561 new algos per day.

We also interested in running Relay node and join to token reward programs…

We would like to contribute Algorand, so I would appreciate it if you could reply to me.

which may explain why ALGO price has tanked. too much supply.

can someone teach me how to set up the relay node and if I am able to earn?

We suggest that rewards tokens are given to other relay node owners, there will be a competition, more people will run relay nodes to get rewards. Also this will increase the cost of getting tokens, and then put the price higher.

Now there are only a few fans for the technology.
We do believe that giving rewards tokens to new relay nodes will attract a bigger eco-system, and then bring a higher price.

1 Like

Hi all,

I would like to reopen this thread.

Please can anyone from Algorand answer me:

1. How many relay nodes is currently in place.
  2. Who are they - is it publicly shared / at least distribution?
  3. How is running X relay nodes pre-selected with now closed option in alignment with decentralization of anything.
  4. I do understand it is different to participation nodes in functionality of consensus but I cannot see how anyone can ignore that relay reward is distributed to circle of parties that is now closed to enter.

This is for me the biggest issue as with Algorand foundation stake it builds up a ton of feeling for centralized (or perhaps better word is federalized) token. I could live with with the tokenomics not promising much growth unless hyped in later years but this is for me a big no no and I believe for everyone.

Become transparent please and you´ll see the a great inflow.

I agree, this needs to be answered by the Algorand team. I’ve been following the project for some time and he closed circle of relay nodes is problematic.

For the sake of this project, there needs to be more transparency and implication in this community.

Hi, I am interested in running the the node, but first I need to know my costs… How much traffic do you expect the node consume per day now, and how much do you expect it to consume in one year? What are the storage requirements?

I am assuming you want to run a participation node which is the most useful node to run for the ecosystem and which is the only way to actually participate in consensus and vote/propose blocks.

(Relay nodes are very expensive to run, require extremely high network quality and huge bandwidth and anyway do not participate in consensus. To learn more see https://algorand.foundation/faq#running-nodes-)

I am also assuming you do not own a significant portion of the total online stake (say you own less than 1M Algos). If you do, to ensure of the health of the blockchain you need to set up extremely reliable participation nodes and should put in place additional measures to prevent your node to ever stop voting.

Let me give you the figures for my personal participation node in the cloud (Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS):

• bandwidth: 316 GB In/18.1 GB Out in Feb 2021. This number will increase as the number of transactions on the Algorand blockchain increases. But it is very hard to predict.
  • storage: SSD, total use 12GB, use for the Algorand data folder: 5.6GB. My node is non-archival so only the account table and the last 1000 blocks are stored. Even with huge increase of traffic, provisioning 40GB total should be sufficient. Slow cloud HDD may not work.
  • CPU: 1 core
  • RAM: 2GB → 1GB is definitely not sufficient

People have reported being able to use a Raspberry PI 4 too.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for useful information.

According to this data, if I would run the participation node in azure, it would cost me approx 100-200 eur per month.

Are there any incentives to run the participation node?

Am I reading it right that the algo foundation is funding millions of usd each month to the relay nodes, but the real endpoints for commerce, the participation nodes are not funded? Or the reward system somehow funds the participation nodes?

My participation node is on Linode and it costs me $10/month.

There are currently no incentive to run a participation node. See https://algorand.foundation/faq#running-nodes- for detailed explanations.

1 Like