Algorand-dedicated R&D team similar to other major chains'?

Hello,

Is there a dedicated Research & Development (R&D) team for Algorand blockchain similar to how Chainlink (LINK) having Chainlink Labs and Avalanche (AVAX) has Ava Labs?

Got curious reading this article below about how Avalanche’s creating an initiative to create an AVAX-centric multi-chain ecosystem and believe this is managed by the Ava Labs, similar to how Chainlink Labs lead all technical/R&D related developments within the platform. One key aspect we can learn from such entities is that they sustain the developers they interact with - now, Chainlink Lab permanently hosts some major powerhouses already well-known within programming and cryptography industry. I currently don’t see anything similar to have the developments brewing consistently with a structured-agenda like these research labs have, other than the infrequent hackathons/generic-objective grants.

Can we build the same for Algorand to become the go-to house for hq R&D, if we already do not have one???

Avalanche Foundation unveils $290 million incentive program to spur on growth of subnets (theblockcrypto.com)

Ava Labs: Build the Internet of Finance

Chainlink Labs

Hi Algofordinner,

Most R&D is done in house with the foundation or at the Inc. I think you’ll find if you check out the history of the folks that work at either you’ll be very impressed.

I know they have some projects they’ve been working on, for example this paper Can a blockchain keep a secret from @fabrice and others at the foundation.

To your question about breaking it out and publishing a structured agenda, I’m not sure what the plan is but I’d certainly like to see some details about what is being worked on for personal curiosity.

Ben

Choice Coin also runs a lot of R&D on Algorand. I did a post here, but we’re updating the website soon to include more data.

Another little bit of background, take from it what you will:

Ava Labs and Chainlink were both founded out of Cornell University, and are still heavily integrated with the University.

Dr. Juels from Chainlink is still a professor at Cornell, and actively works with the University to produce new research (right now he’s very focused on Zero-Knowledge proofs and decentralized identity (see CanDID)).

Cornell is also a major stakeholder in Ava Labs, and Emin Gün Sirer is a former student and professor at the university. Cornell puts a lot of money and resources into Blockchain research at both Cornell and Cornell Tech.

I think if MIT supported Algorand anywhere near as much as Cornell supports Ava, things would at least have different optics (phrased that way specifically to not detract from Algo Foundation’s internal R&D and that of people in the community).

Cornell puts on a really good Blockchain conference annually. I went this past year and hope to make the annual trip to the City. I think people from Algo have gone in the past but this year it was definitely the Avax show. The sessions are on YT if you’re interested.

1 Like

This is super helpful. Thanks.

Also, updated Choice Coin R&D page: Choice Coin

1 Like