Algorand Wallet rekeyed to Ledger, but does not appear on Ledger Live

Hi all,

Apologies if this is basic - paranoia is real here! I am wondering how to have my Algorand wallet appear on my Ledger Nano X. The story:

1. I have an official Algorand wallet with a balance (“Wallet 1”), backed up by a passphrase, obviously.
  2. Then, I purchased a Ledger Nano X and added an Algorand account (“Wallet 2”) after downloading the app on Ledger Live.
  3. Then, I rekeyed Wallet 1 by pairing my Ledger Nano X. Now, I no longer have a passphrase, but I expected my Ledger Live to display Wallet 1. Instead, Wallet 2 on Ledger Live displays 0 Algo and Wallet 1 remains functional on the Algorand mobile app, but every withdrawal now requires approval with my Nano (no problem there).

My questions:

1. Why does Wallet 1 balance not appear on Ledger Live?
  2. How is Wallet 1 actually backed up now that I have no passphrase, nor do I see it anywhere on Ledger Live?
  3. Wallet 1 in the mobile app, when clicking on the “…” no longer has “View Passphrase” obviously, but now has “Auth Account Address”. This looks like a new address (perhaps the Ledger Live address?) - what is it and why is it different than Wallet 1’s address in the mobile app? Is this the fundamental reason Wallet 1 does not appear on Wallet 2 and do I have to now send everything from Wallet 1 to Wallet 2, to see the balance in Ledger Live?

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Appreciate any guidance here! Thanks

1 Like
  1. After checking, this feature is unfortunately not supported on Ledger Live. Ledger Live only shows accounts with addresses matching the secret keys of the Ledger Nano. It does not show accounts that have been rekeyed to such addresses. Concretely, Ledger Live does not know that transactions from Wallet 1 can be authorized by the Ledger Nano Wallet 2 key.
  2. Any transaction from Wallet 1 needs to be approved/signed by the Ledger Nano. If you backed up your Ledger Nano master key, you should be good. Be very careful however that if you close your Wallet 1 account (i.e., if you transfer out all the Algos), then the rekeying disappears and you would need to use the original passphrase of Wallet 1 to sign transactions.
  3. This address should be Wallet 2 address.

If you don’t want to bother with rekeying and do not mind changing address, it can indeed be simpler to move all your Algos from Wallet 1 to Wallet 2.
Be very careful that after doing that, Wallet 1 will be reset to use the original passphrase and not the Ledger Nano. If you want to avoid that, you need to keep 0.1 Algos in Wallet 1.

I would highly recommend you to keep a backup of the original passphrase of Wallet 1 that you had before rekeying.

Disclaimer: Algorand makes no representations regarding the functioning or security of wallets, exchanges, or tools mentioned in the answer above, and disclaims any liability therefof. You are fully responsible for the security and the availability of your keys.

Thank you, Fabrice! This was very helpful. Appreciate the time you took to give a detailed response.

So if I understand you correctly, there is no way to recover the original Algorand Wallet address using only the Ledger Nano device, you must use the original passphrase from the Algorand Wallet.

My wish was to rekey an existing Algorand Wallet address using my Ledger device, and use only the Ledger to recover/transfer funds. Leaving my original Algorand Wallet passphrase is the past.

What do you mean by “recover the original Algorand Wallet address”?

Rekeying an existing Algorand wallet to a Ledger, would allow you to keep your existing Algorand wallet address while using the Ledger Nano to sign.

However, you must be mindful that “closing” the Algorand wallet (i.e., emptying it completely) will disable the rekeying and you will need back the original passphrase.

What do you mean by “recover the original Algorand Wallet address”?

I mean in case I remove the account from my Algorand Wallet or lose my phone etc. I want to be able to recover the account using only my Ledger device, not the passphrase from the Algorand wallet.

If I always keep over 0.1 ALGO in the wallet, I should be able to import the address to the Algorand Wallet using Ledger, right?

To sum up:
I think we should be able to add addresses to the Algorand Wallet straight from a Ledger device. Am I missing something or is this functionality available already?

Hello Fabrice,

My situation is:

account A rekeyed to account B ( no ledger device ).

“goal clerk send --from $ADDR_A --to $ADDR_A --amount 0 --rekey-to $ADDR_B”

I want add account A in a new wallet (like Algorand Mobile Wallet), what primary key should I use to add it?

Thank you.

Marco

I have never done it personally, but I believe you should be able to do it by:

1. Adding the key of address B (this will also create the account B, that you actually may not use).
  2. Adding the account A by address