Xgov-112 - Thurstober Tools - Onboarding Enhancements, Upgrades, and Redesign

We’re back! In this proposal we want to add in NFD Vault Support to reduce the opt-friction for new Algorand Users, Add ARC-36 Support (Non-Rarity Filters) to our Simple Mint and Update Tools, Add in advanced asset tools to change the Manager, Freeze, and Clawback Address, and add in a tool where you can enter a Wallet Address to download the tx history. In addition we plan on updating the site with a redesign.

id: 112
period: 3
title: Thurstober Tools - Onboarding Enhancements, Upgrades, and Redesign
author: Joseph Glenn (@loafpickleWW)
discussions-to: xgov-112 - Thurstober Tools - Onboarding Enhancements, Upgrades, and Redesign by LoafPickleWW · Pull Request #112 · algorandfoundation/xGov · GitHub
company_name: Thurstober Digital Studios
category: Tools
focus_area: User Onboarding
open_source: Yes
amount_requested: 20000

Abstract

We’re back! In this proposal we want to add in NFD Vault Support to reduce the opt-friction for new Algorand Users, Add ARC-36 Support (Non-Rarity Filters) to our Simple Mint and Update Tools, Add in advanced asset tools to change the Manager, Freeze, and Clawback Address, and add in a tool where you can enter a Wallet Address to download the tx history. In addition we plan on updating the site with a redesign.

Team

The team at Thurstober Digital Studios (xGov Periods 1 and 2 Awardees):

LoafPickle - Project Manager. I have 10 years of Project Management experience working in NYC on large scale construction projects. In addition, I am a long timer in the Algorand NFT Space and have been helping develop utility projects on the chain since May 2021. I am currently the Head of Strategy and Community for Thurstober Digital Studios.

ByKewel - Tool Developer. Kewel is another Algorand NFT long timer that was the first to create wallet holding, sales, and listing discord bots that projects were able to incorporate into the ecosysytem. They also built the first on-chain DAO tool back in February 2022.

Jenna (thurstober) - Project Lead.

Andrew (stablehand) - Lead Developer

Experience with Algorand

All of us have been in the Algorand NFT Space since May 2021. Thurstober Digital Studios has built a full horse racing utility series and our body of work with The Laboratory (Formerly Evil Tools) speaks for itself.
Laboratory Website: https://labs.thurstober.com/
Wallet Enhancer: https://we.thurstober.com/
Open source Repo: GitHub - thurstober-digital/evil-tools

Present Proposal

NFD Vault and Segment Support - This one is similar to our simple send tool (The Laboratory). Here users can enter in individual NFDS or enter in a root NFD to pull all the segments and the assets will be airdropped into the vaults.

ARC36 Support for Simple Mint/Update - With ARC36 being finalized, we have already incorporated it into our bulk tools. We wanted to reformat our Simple Mint/Update tools so creators can easily add filters to their NFTs.

Advanced Asset Tool - An easy way to change the manager, clawback, or freeze address for a selected asset.

Tx History Tool - An easy way to enter a wallet address and the tx history will be downloaded in a CSV format. This will be useful for things like taxes or Airdrops.

Site Redesign - Clean up the site to match the new theming on Wallet Enhancer.

Future Blueprint

Build it.

Benefits for the community

The benefits are already being realized. When the myalgo hack went down, we quickly created mass add and send tools with Pera integration so creators and collectors alike were able to efficiently move their assets to safe homes. Since then, we have creators thanking us for providing them the tools we wish we had back in the early days of Algorand NFTs.

Additional information

We had been approved in the first and second xGov Round to build more tools. The tools have since been completed and made open source.

In addition to the tooling, we also provide creator guides that allow new creators to get a lay of the ecosystem to help the onboarding experience. You can find them here: LoafPickle – Medium

5 Likes

how do we know that there is demand for any of this? could we look at the data and survey’s you’ve ran to make sure this is even necessary? pls no “well I heard”, looking for hard numbers here

why 20,000 ALGO? notice ur other proposals are the same amount, can you tell us how exactly the money will be used? rather the money go to nfd, they have already built a lot of this stuff

This is your third round of xGov?

Building because youre getting rewards is not sustainable in the long run and like all Algorand businesses, you need to find profitability outside of Algorand Foundation donations sooner or later.

I personally think we should be either capping rewards so the same teams don’t keep farming Foundation reserves.

I’ve seen this team spam xGov now 3 times in this one round. Including XGOV-112

1 Like

Seems like these tools would be fairly helpful. NFD support would make sends and swaps a little easier. ARC36 minting adds new tools for minting different asset standards. The Advanced Asset tool is needed for changing those attributes of a token. And the tx history has obvious application for taxes.

1 Like

You seem to not understand what @LoafPickle & Thurstober Tools is doing. This really isn’t a “business” and these tools aren’t really meant to be a money making venture for them. They are building open-source public goods on an ad hoc basis.

And while I can see why there may be aversion to when people submit multiple different proposals for generalized tooling (as I think it can lead to a “nickel and dime” sort of thing). But, at the same time, if a developer throws all these tools into one big mega proposal, they could end up getting nothing passed.

With respect to the questions I raised regarding 113 vs 114, why not wait and see what Loaf says? I very well may just be misunderstanding one or both of them. Personally, I think a multi-asset open sourced swapper would be a good thing to have (I could be wrong, but I don’t think Atomixwap is OSS). I’m just unsure how 113 & 114 are different and why they were separated.

4 Likes

Yes, we had a ton of people request these tools and features.

20,000A = $3,200 USD. We value our time and feel this is a bargain.

3 Likes

These tools have $0 Operational Costs. xGov pays for the 1 time Dev fee and the rest is minimal website hosting fees.

If anything, this is the most sustainable business model on Algorand.

3 Likes

Our business comes form our mint tools. To date, we have almost 140,000 micropayments from people using our tools. The reason we only charge for minting as well is because most of the time they are being used for profit purposes.

The rest is because we love the ecosystem and want to help fill in the areas of needs we see and others request.

I don’t want one proposal to tank all of them so you are correct in that regard. Atomixswap is not OSS as well. I answered 113 and 114 in their respective forums.

Appreciate the defense as well.

3 Likes

Can you break down exactly who is getting paid what and for which reason?

Across the multiple proposals, you are asking for 60,000 ALGO! Yet there is 0 itemization of costs, and the stuff you’re building already largely exists, the only new thing is improving your site :frowning:

How exactly is you constantly coming back every time asking for tens of thousands of ALGO “the most sustainable business model”? Shouldn’t your site already be generating revenue to BE sustainable?

How many is a “ton of people”? Can you provide any actual proof people want 20,000 ALGOs to go to this?

We have 5 projects looking to use it. How many people that extends to beyond that is not quantifiable.

Feel like you’re trolling at this point too. We operate in USD and 20,000A is $3,200 USD. The more you shout about how much this proposal is, the more I am thinking it is a bargain.

We are also generating revenue already. We recently crossed 140,000 payments for our mint tools.

3 Likes

I added a summary of our mission for all three proposals here: The Laboratory — xGov 3. An overview of xGov 3 Proposals by… | by LoafPickle | Feb, 2024 | Medium

So you:

• Are generating revenue
  • Already got XGov money multiple times
  • Have 140,000 payments

Don’t you think XGov should be used for new projects and not go to a thriving business like yours supposedly is? I don’t see EXA or NFTExplorer in here asking for these funds…

IMHO give Thurstober Tools the funding. Hard working dedicated team, open sourcing everything. Have been around for a long time going way out of their way for NFT community. If it weren’t for Thurstober and LoafPickle, we wouldn’t have a NFT community.

2 Likes

If you don’t like it, don’t vote for it.

I don’t know what else there is to say. I’m putting it through regardless.

2 Likes

Looks like I’ve hit a nerve. Good to know how you handle feedback as well, calling me a troll, etc.

XGov should not be your (successful) business’ piggy bank, this is not its intended purpose and you’ve already been given enough free money.

There aren’t any nerves to hit.

I see the value in these proposals, others in the community see the value in these proposals, and you don’t. It’s okay you don’t have to like it.

I hope the proposals you like pass as there are a lot of good ones this period.

1 Like

We had been approved in the first and second xGov Round to build more tools. The tools have since been completed and made open source.

Questions

• On discord you mentioned that this feature (Xgov-112) was complete but you will apply to get funds retroactively. Why not just release the feature so the community can start using it?
  • Do you have any metrics to back up any claims as to the benefits of your work?
  • How many grants will you apply for in the future?
  • Do you think one-off projects are really going to move the needle forward?
  • The Thurstober brand seems to be chasing grant funding heavily. Why not become profitable as a business instead of building features that don’t have any cohesive vision?

Why doesn’t the NFD @fisherman.algo build this instead? I’d rather his AAA squad get the funds. An effective and proven team. They get my xgov vote.

NFD Vault and Segment Support - This one is similar to our simple send tool (The Laboratory). Here users can enter in individual NFDS or enter in a root NFD to pull all the segments and the assets will be airdropped into the vaults.

I don’t know who @AlgoFamily is but he seems like an awfully dishonest person. His statement is absolutely false. Without Rand Gallery, the NFT market on Algorand wouldn’t exist.

If it weren’t for Thurstober and LoafPickle, we wouldn’t have a NFT community.

Hi. While I appreciate the compliment for NFDs I don’t appreciate it at evil tools expense. They are a fantastic team that 100% deserves this ALGO. The fact evil tools can keep building with only this small amount of money is impressive to me. Most teams would find it to be negative net present value. But evil tools do it anyways for the love of the ecosystem.

4 Likes

The strategy Thurstober is following is very good. Instead of asking for say 200,000 algo in one go and then building something that nobody uses is bad for ecosystem. Instead they are asking for smaller funds so that they can build a feature, get feedback from community and then build next one. This is very difficult to achieve as you need constant interaction with the community.

4 Likes