github: xGov/Proposals/xgov-205.md at main · algorandfoundation/xGov · GitHub
company_name: Cosmic Champs International Limited
category: Community
focus_area: Gaming
open_source: No
funding_type: Retroactive
amount_requested: 50000

## Abstract
VIDEO PRESENTATION OF THE PROJECT | Cosmic champs is FREE to play, AAA-quality, Action-packed PVP strategy game that combines elements from collectible card games, tower defense and online battle arena! It is available on Android, iOS and Web since 2022. Game is frequenty featured in articles and publications and has presence in wider web3 ecosystem. It keeps high social media score ever since launch - putting gaming on Algorand on the map. We are asking for a retroactive grant for our efforts in building and providing free game and advancing gaming ecosystem on Algorand! The funds received will be put towards updating our game in preparation for launching the game officially on the google play in Q3.

## Team
https://cosmicchamps.com

## Experience with Algorand
For the last 2+ years, we have been building a p2e game on Algorand called Cosmic Champs. We are innovators in the 3d NFT space with our fully animated 3d NFTs that are used in our game and also have utility outside of the game itself (3d viewer, AR viewer).
We have a strong understanding of the NFT space, the technical specifications, and the supporting infrastructure available. This positions us well to deliver a strong product for other Algorand projects to use and benefit from.

## Present Proposal
Video presentation of the platform
Cosmic champs is FREE to play, AAA-quality, Action-packed PVP strategy game that combines elements from collectible card games, tower defense and online battle arena! It is available on Android, iOS and Web since 2022. Game was frequenty featured in articles and publications and had presence in wider web3 ecosystem. It has consistently kept high social media score ever since launch - putting gaming on Algorand on the map. We are asking for a retroactive grant for our efforts in building and advertising gaming on Algorand which we firmly believe is yet to shine with Cosmic Champs leading the pack!

Blockchain Gaming will onboard the next big wave of users to Algorand. As one of the oldest and biggest games on algorand we are uniquely positioned to to carry lions share of that influx. To date, we are the only game that supports real time 3d PVP, with authoritative servers (more secure) on Algorand. This increased security and performance - which are both crucial as they implicity represent Algorand itself.

To date we have built and maintaned entire Cosmic champs platform (android + ios + browser game, 4 utility web pages and 2 seasons of innovative fully animated 3d game-ready AR compatibile NFTs). We can easily be considered benchmark in the space with active community and constant social engagement.

This type and scope of secure and performant infrastructure is expensive, and our current active userbase doesn’t allow for profitability at this stage so we are hopefull xgovs will recognize our contribution and value we bring to the ecosystem and will support our endeavours to ensure we remain on top of our game and fully prepared for the upcomming bull - we are commited to support the platform and keep updating and promoting the game and Algorand through 2024.

### Deliverable
We will build, maintain and promote Cosmic Champs and gaming scene on Algorand.
Deliverables(game) can be checked at: https://beta.cosmicchamps.com and via our social interactions or via video here Video presentation of the platform

## Future Blueprint
In the future, with increased userbase, we plan to become profitable as soon as possible to ensure the platform can keep meeting and exceeding the needs of algorand(and wider) gaming scene.

## Benefits for the community
Imagine a bad Algorand Wallet, if that wallet is slow and buggy(or hacked) people simply assume that is Algorands fault. To enforce the narrative that Algorand is great for gaming it is crucial that games are secure, performant and ideally built to appeal the masses - all of which Cosmic Champs is!

To date, we are the only game that supports real time 3d PVP, with authoritative servers (more secure) on Algorand. This increased security and performance are both crucial as they implicity represent Algorand itself (to an unedeucated user). Our game is using a proven model with very wide audience appeal and huge potential for mass adoption.

Cosmic Champs has been recognized with a nomination for the best blockchain game of 2023 by PlayToEarn. This nomination is a testament to the game’s impact and potential in the blockchain gaming community. Even more so as we were the only Algorand game that was nominated.

We are constantly looking for new ways how to empower other Algorand projects (cross community NFT collabs, branded prize bots in our game) so they can benefit from our exposure and success and vice-versa.

## Additional information
Play our game here: https://beta.cosmicchamps.com
NFT browser + 3d view: https://nft.cosmicchamps.com
Browse game characters: https://cards.cosmicchamps.com
Corporate page: https://cosmicchamps.com

3 Likes

Since this is framed as a retroactive grant, would you mind sharing what your past VC funding was? In my mind, retroactive grants should not be used to pay for that which was already adequately compensated. Thus, I think that is a relevant matter of inquiry.

If this is not purely retroactive, however, can you please clarify that? For instance, is this necessary for maintaining future runway? If so, what what runway does this add?

2 Likes

What you are saying is, if we built a product that benefits Algorand using VC money this is a bad thing and we shouldn’t dare to apply for retroactive grant for work done
However someone that uses their “own” funds, regardless of their origins (let’s say i borrow money from my uncle to build something) then it is magically fine?
Who is the judge of what was adequately compensated? if i build a car on a 100$ budget was i adequately compensated, what if i build a car using a 1M budget?
Only way where i would agree with this is if we got a grant from AF to build our platform - which we didn’t.

But to answer your questions:

• Grant we ask is purely retroactive, for work done (but as you correctly assume we would obviously use the funds for our ongoing operations. The 14k usd which the current algo ammount ask equals to would cover our infrastructure costs by end of 2024, which is also the “maintenance” period we have commited ourself to in the proposal).

• We raised roughly 1.6M usd from 7 different investors in 2021 - again not a grant, but money (VC money, uncles money, my savings - does it matter?) that was brought into the ecosystem and used on developing and promoting our platform, engaging the community and promoting Alrogrand and gaming on algorand in wider web3 space.

Just a note here about why this is purely retroactive request: We applied for a proactive grant in previous period asking for funds to update our infrastructure and extend our runway for providing free to play, high quality game to Algorand ecosystem and to people interested in web3 gaming so that they could see it’s possible to do it right and on a professional level on algorand. but we didn’t pass… so here is to hoping xgovs can recognise the value provided so far.

2 Likes

No. I’m saying I think it is a relevant thing to consider. In my opinion, a project whose devs received outside compensation is on different footing than those who did not. Doesn’t mean it’s never appropriate. But, it is something that I want to know when weighing how to allocate a finite set of resources. I am not singling you out here. I’ve been asking this of other retroactive grant seekers.

The xGovs.

I guess it depends on what was delivered. If someone gave you $100 and you deliver a $1M product, then you seem like a no brainer for retroactive grants. If you were paid $1M and delivered a $1M car, then not as much.

2 Likes

Game is fun and addicting so you have my expert vote for value delivered.
Wen Appstore?

2 Likes

Thank you!
No official date yet, but we are looking at Q3 to for soft launch of the game on google play - more tba.

2 Likes

All valid points - in light of the feedback from you and other community members we reduced the asked amount (down to 50k algo) and have also included more clarity on what the funds will be used for.

We are hopeful xgovs will be able to get behind the idea that cosmic champs has provided a lot of value to the ecosystem already (retroactive ask) and can provide a lot more by aiming to release on google play in Q3 - funds will be used to update the game to a play store release ready version.

4 Likes