xGov Testing Voting Session Live on Testnet for the next 6 days

We have opened a testnet voting session for the xGov voting tool. If you opted in as an xGov, we would love for you to try it.

https://testnet.xgov.algorand.foundation/vote/246803609

With about a month to go until the first official voting session, we are actively collecting bug reports and suggestions.

To cast your vote, please use the same wallet address you used to opt-in for the xGov program during the GP7 signup. You’ll see your wallet has been assigned “voting power”. This number is an estimation calculated according to the rewards you may get for this period based on your governance commitment.

IMPORTANT: You’ll need to swap your wallet to testnet mode and use testnet ALGO for the transaction. The “Learn more about the vote” link on the test voting session page will take you to a testnet ALGO faucet.
https://bank.testnet.algorand.network/

Please post any issues and feedback on this thread, as our team and the Dev Relations team will monitor for bug reports.

Happy testing!

• I would like to have option to specify exact number of votes (not rounded by percentage)
  • Wallet connect 1 is scheduled to go down on June 28th, so this will probably stop working (i see in the qr code the v1 version for all wallets there (pera, defly, wallet connect)) Migration from v1.x | WalletConnect Docs
  • I would like to see cancel button when i do the submission of the app call to the wallet. I see only loader, and if i want to cancel i need to refresh screen and loose content on the web
  • with address ALGONAUTSPIUHDCX3SLFXOFDUKOE4VY36XV4JX2JHQTWJNKVBKPEBQACRY it allows me to vote only the first account from the list https://api.testnet.voting.algorand.foundation/ipfs/bafybeicv7qy5ypunbm6h5utw3lwkpakr2ib4pcusvgc4p3qvbegpvvyma4 … delegation does not seem to work
  • i am not able to change my vote
  • can you please fill in little more information to next test session, it is quite difficult to see how all proposal’s texts will fit in the box where “This is a proposal for a new decentralized application, 10% of the total 2M” text is written… what data is going to be visible there (where does it come from), how xgovs are going to know what they vote for? Perhaps might be resonable to ask all grant requesters to write also 50 word pitch which is going to be displayed there…
1 Like

It appears that it’s not working with rekeyed accounts? However I’m not entirely sure because my $ALGO Governance stake is in an Algofi Vault…the Auth address I think might be the issue. The auth address for the Algofi Vault is: L7RF6SLJVI4YSKNRGYBMXVQUVXWRPEEJMXJBTCTYMVGCZGU7P7GM6UUTY4
The Algofi Vault address is: F4F5SKTJYQRSA7E6TJRLVFWUFFV52AIQJAJGCYYQU22FVKOF7MRNJ6V4ZA
However the first address has been rekeyed to: 5ADDOBOVIMHHO4JNN36LB5LR7IWFJZDF3DOSS4A2F2FIUO7US4DV5SQAIM

I tried this using Defly Dapp Browser on mobile (Android 13)

I assume that because this is on testnet the rekeying you have done in mainnet is not applied… Just use your original mnemonic on the testnet… Wallet you used has stored the rekeying and is probably not network scoped for the accounts.

It says that you should sign the tx with L7RF6SLJVI4YSKNRGYBMXVQUVXWRPEEJMXJBTCTYMVGCZGU7P7GM6UUTY4 account

I use the Algorand node software to build my transactions, then I go on my dedicated/encrypted/airgapped laptop to sign those transactions. What am I supposed to do here?

In other words, with my current setup, how do I not compromise my security to vote in xGovs?
In the final version, will there be an “other-wallet” option that gives us the “–app-arg” or “–app-input” JSON of the resulting vote so we can manually build our own transactions?
Something a bit like what we currently have in regular Governance, where it gives us the correct note to attach to our transaction.

I don’t consider inputting my seed phrase on a phone or tablet connected to the internet as an actual solution.

• I would like to have option to specify exact number of votes (not rounded by percentage)

This will not be available for the MVP, but will be considered for version 1.

• i am not able to change my vote

That’s correct. The voting tool was designed to allow one vote per wallet per session. Like in an election, you only vote once.

• can you please fill in little more information to the next test session, it is quite difficult to see how all proposal’s texts will fit in the box where “This is a proposal for a new decentralized application, 10% of the total 2M” text is written… what data is going to be visible there (where does it come from), how xgovs are going to know what they vote for? Perhaps might be reasonable to ask all grant requesters to write also 50 word pitch which is going to be displayed there…

For the MVP, it would be the first statement of the abstract with a link to the full proposal.

I’ve asked the dev team about your other dot points and will get back to you once I hear back (likely on Tuesday, as I’m at a conference on Monday).

1 Like

We don’t have straightforward documentation for voting directly from the command line.
I have created this PR in case some dApps wanted to integrate the process, it’s not finalized and still in draft, but maybe it will be enough to help you: xGov dApp Integration by SudoWeezy · Pull Request #204 · algorandfoundation/ARCs · GitHub.

Here is also a link to a test used for the voting tool.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer! I’ll take a look as well and test some things on the current testnet-xgov environment.

And after actually re-reading the Governance documentation (governance/af-gov1-spec.md at main · algorandfoundation/governance · GitHub), I found out I initially made a mistake. I wasn’t aware of the optional “xGv”:“ABC” portion of the note I could add when first enrolling in xGovs to delegate my xGov vote to another less important account.

If I had done so in the first place, I wouldn’t have this issue right now. Oh well, I’ll know for next time!

1 Like
  • the amount of votes in % needed to pass should be in the same box as the “X votes needed to pass” imo (easier to understand and to compare to the way xGovs vote since we have to put in % too)
  • there should be an easy visual indicator to know how much of the needed votes a proposal already got, like a bar which fills up to 100% and the number of votes needed
  • i am not 100% sure but what if a xGov doesnt vote? i know they loose their locked rewards but does it make a difference for the vote like will projects need less number of votes to pass. feels like if thats not the case a whale or a lot of people pulling out could lead to funds not getting distributed since they didnt vote and needed votes werent adjusted
  • how do you plan to order the proposals, by the proposal number aka earlier proposals at the top? proposals at the top could benefit from being at the top which could be a bit unfair. there should be at least an option to sort it by for example amount requested or the tag or the amount of votes a proposal got already
  • voting stats should rather include the % of eligible voting power that has voted and not amount of wallets since its not 1 vote per wallet
  • session period should include the timezone or say its in our timezone if thats the case + there should be a timer at the top which counts down (rather big with a warning what xGovs might loose if they dont vote)
  • i dont know how you will name the proposals (maybe just take the name the people submitted) but i think it would be good if names of already existing projects (+ logos) would be mentioned in the proposal headline with a potential link to their website somewhere (not only a link to the proposal) so people not familiar with them can see what they already built
  • how will it work if a proposal already got enough votes to be funded, will people still be able to vote for it? does that make sense? feels like some people might vote for what they know and even if it received the necessary votes they would vote for it which would be a bit wasteful
1 Like
  • Wallet connect 1 is scheduled to go down on June 28th, so this will probably stop working (i see in the qr code the v1 version for all wallets there (pera, defly, wallet connect)) Migration from v1.x | WalletConnect Docs

Devs are aware of this migration.

• I would like to see cancel button when i do the submission of the app call to the wallet. I see only loader, and if i want to cancel i need to refresh screen and loose content on the web

For the MVP, you’ll have to cancel the wallet transaction if you change your mind. I’ve added this to the requests for v1.

Some interesting suggestions and remarks @lobo. I’ll discuss them with the dev team and post a follow-up here. I’ll confirm which ones already are on the improvements list for v1, but will not be available for the first voting session with version in July.