New Phone with existing Algorand Wallet

I had to get a new mobile device and when trying to access my Algorand wallet on it It has been unsuccessful. When I placed the 25 word passphrase and it says incorrect. But It is the passphrase that I know is correct. What can be done to retrieve access to my wallet?

Check again for spelling errors! I had the same experience…then I found the difference…

Same thing happened to me.

@mappleton7 were you able to eventually recover? Unfortunately, it’s possible you recorded or entered your passphrase incorrectly. There was also a bug a while back that temporarily made the passphrase case sensitive. It’s been resolved since then so perhaps you can try again?

Yes, I got it. Thank you. Instead of using the pass phrase I used the wallet address.

Thanks,

M. Appleton

Please beware that if you used the “Watch Account” feature by entering in just the wallet address, you won’t be able to transact in that account.

For more information on Watch accounts, please refer to https://algorandwallet.com/support/general/adding-a-watch-account

What is the rationale for that? I don’t understand not being able to transact. I have not tried any new transactions so I guess we will try to do a transaction.

Thanks,

M. Appleton

@mappleton7 did you review that watch account guide that i linked you to? Your question “what is the rationale” is answered there in great detail.

Yes , I read the watch account link. But I didn’t not set up a watch account so anyway I was able to recover my account.

Thanks,

M. Appleton

Interesting, I thought you said above that you “recovered” your account with just your address. This isn’t really recovering it, I just wanted you to be aware of the fact that Watch accounts exist. But if you’re all set, that works.

Yes, I recovered my account but it was not through a watch account. I simply used my wallet address after my passphrase attempts didn’t work.

Thanks,

M. Appleton

I still don’t understand how this could be the case. Do you see a little eye icon next to your account name? If so, that’s a Watch account. Feel free to send a screenshot of the homepage and we can verify. I just continue to warn you on this because I don’t want you to think you can transact when you actually can’t. I’m happy to be proven wrong though as I’m not sure I’m understanding your situation.

You can’t fully recover an account without the account passphrase.

Hi !

Hope you wouldn’t mind me tapping on your topic to ask a related question.
If I have a new mobile device, all I need to do is install Algorand Wallet app on the new device, and I can still access my coin account with same account details and passphrase?

Is there no Algorand Wallet version on desktop / PC?

Thank you.

This is correct. You can do this by using the recovery passphrase that was assigned to you when you originally obtained the Algorand wallet.

Thanks,

M. Appleton

1 Like

Wallet is only accessible by mobile device.

Thanks,

M. Appleton

This is the beginning of my Algorand learning journey.

Thanks again for teaching, Appleton.

Just to build off of what @mappleton7 correctly said, for each account that you want to bring over to your new device, you can recover each with their unique 25-word recovery passphrase. So if you have 2 accounts in your wallet on your old device, you’ll need to recover those 2 accounts (separately) on your new device.

We know this is currently a painful process (especially if you have several accounts), so we’re working on a “Transfer to New Device” workflow that will allow you to securely transfer all of your account data to a new phone. Stay tuned for future updates!

Ur welcome.

Thanks,

M. Appleton

Thank you Ian, for sharing.

I just bought Algorand from Coinbase. Will be sending it to Algorand Wallet for safekeeping. Suppose it will be taking me a while to understand the technicalities of wallet.

1 Like

Don’t forget to check out algorandwallet.com for more tutorials and guides that you may find helpful!